The purpose/mission of the National Brain Injury Foundation is to provide social support groups, advocacy, and information to people with brain injuries and their families.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Gary Celebrates a Meaningful Milestone

Valentine's Day 2000 was the first day of the rest of my life. Prior to this date my life was in turmoil. That day I became TBI due to a snowmobile accident. My condition was almost fatal. I was sent to the Northeast Center for Special Care for a year while in a coma and for rehabilitation. The next two years I lived at home with my mom and step-dad. During this time I was contacted by RCIL and became a consumer with their agency. My life has totally changed since my accident, from hopelessness and having to rely on everyone for my needs, not understanding why I can't do things like I used to and adjusting to a whole new way of life. Today I am proud to say I have progressed. I have been living independently the past two years in my own apartment in New Hartford, working at Hannaford Market and have a pet cat and two Beta fish. I have learned to adjust to my injury and maintain my independent living status. But I could not have done this alone. If it weren't for the great staff at RCIL, my therapist Linda Nelson, my doctors and providers, Northeast Center and my new social group, National Brain Injury Foundation I am sure I would not have the will or desire to progress. Thank you!!!

Happy Valentines Day 2007 - Gary Goodson