The purpose/mission of the National Brain Injury Foundation is to provide social support groups, advocacy, and information to people with brain injuries and their families.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Krista - in her own words..

Well lets see where do I start - ok I know I will start at this; I was living in Jacksonville, Alabama that's where I was raised now I live in Upstate New York. Well I was 7 years old I was in 2nd grade. We where on our way to school in the morning and we didn't live but 2 miles from the schools. So we were running a little bit late for school. My parents were at work already. The sun was really bright that day of my accident, which was October 8, 1991. My sister pulled up to the stop sign even though she could not see the stop sign she knew there was one there so she looked both ways. She looked and did not see anything coming so she pulled out and a white pick-up truck was coming. We were running late that we were in the process of putting are seat belts on. So the truck hit us and the car spun! Here comes the part where I get hurt: I hit the drivers seat, hit the stirring wheel, flew out the wind-shield, hit the stop sign, and ended up in the back of the car. Bad Huh!! Luckily, I lived right next to the hospital. From that hospital they flew me in helicopter to Birmingham, Alabama Children's Hospital. There I was diagnosed with a TBI. I was in a coma for 6 weeks and I was in the hospital for 3 months. Everyone in the hospital called me the "Miracle Baby"! I had to relearn everything over again from how to walk, talk, eat, and potty trained. Like being a baby all over again. But look at me now! I am 24-years old, a graduate of collage and live independently. It has been 17 years since my accident. I am so happy to be alive!!!

Thank you for taking time and listening to my story!

Love always,Krista "aka" Dee